Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Lost Satelitte Signal - My Vacationing GPS

LOST SATELITTE SIGNAL. My GPS has been telling me this for two days. The sky is crystal clear, not a puffy white cloud in site and my GPS is LOST. Bad timing for it to be lost as I am on the road. No telling it that however. My GPS is obviously taking a break. It must be tired of figuring out how to send me to wherever it is I demand it to direct me to every day. It is tired of blazing new trails through the middle of the nowhere that can be the vastness of Texas. Or it is just too damn hot.

I haven’t lost my mind, surprisingly. I’ve calmly gone back to paying attention to my surroundings, taking my time, reading road signs, breathing deeply and chatting with God and anyone else who will take my roaming phone calls. I’ve referred back to my dearly departed friend, Mapquest, a couple of times and that has worked out just fine.

In the past I would have lost my mind. Wanted to be frustrated and to see how high I could get my blood pressure. Not anymore. In my past life, I remember chasing delivery trucks down the street while still in a hairnet and apron. I remember being angry at suppliers for events out of their control. I remember passionately yelling at an ex-husband. Or two.

Not anymore. I am no longer that person. When did the switch flip? For the life of me I can’t remember the last time I yelled and thought I was going to spontaneously combust. I like this new person and am glad the old one is long gone. I don’t intend on seeing her again.

Not raising our voices is a good thing. Being calm in the moment is a good thing. Wish I had been brave enough to tell this to the woman at the gas station pump next to me this morning as she was screeching at her three small children from the top of her lungs. She would have reached them on a much deeper level if she had talked to them calmly.

Stop the yelling. It won’t get you anywhere. Neither will my vacationing GPS.


No comments:

Post a Comment