Monday, August 15, 2011

Get the Guts Back!

I was living in a glorious ‘over the garage/pool house’ apartment in Belmont Shores, CA, the coast of Long Beach, with my fun friend Lori. Our home was amazing; full of light, life, great music and great times. Lots of laughter and as much dancing as we could fit in. Lipstick notes plastering the bathroom mirror demanding each other to take care of #1.

Then I vacationed in Tulsa and had a blast in a new place with new people exploring new places. A week after my vacation a man I met there called, “When are you moving to Tulsa?” My perky and energetic 20+ self responded, ‘When are you coming to get me?” This man wasn’t relationship material and I wasn’t interested in him. He was a friend of a fabulous friend.

“Next weekend.”

I had a garage sale. Told my Southern California friends and family I was moving, had a good bye party and left. Moved from the most amazing Southern California coast to God’s Green Country. Within 10 days. Without a second thought or a backward glance and with plenty of spunk. I loved our ‘over the garage/pool house apartment’ and wasn’t running away from anything. In hindsight, it just must have been time.

When do we lose the guts that I had when I dared to let a semi-stranger come to drive me cross country to a new home? When I sold everything until what was left fit in my little car. I couldn’t have been happier at the prospect of a new place, new friends, and new experiences. My energy and enthusiasm, unparalleled, I moved without a place to live, without a job and without any plan B or C. Never occurred to me at the time that I might have needed a backup plan. I don’t even remember if I had any money in the bank.

I just went. The result? Spectacular! Time of my life meeting friends I still have to this day. Not one regret.

Get the guts back. Do something daring with yourself, with your business. Hire someone. Fire someone. Tear down a wall. Open another location. Buy a new company car. Buy a new, huge, fabulous and fresh sign for the front door. Design yourself a new logo and give yourself a new look. Paint something wild.

Be daring. Be grand. Be full of chutzpah. Don’t think. Don’t over analyze. Just get out of your comfort zone. Pretend you are 20+ again and just DO!

No comments:

Post a Comment