Sunday, February 20, 2011

Outside and over my fear-thank you, Martha Stewart

Admittedly, I totally dig American Idol. I love The Apprentice also. I think Jennifer Lopez is stunning (and Simon’s t-shirts were delicious) and Donald Trump is just a trip. Years ago there were plans for a new show, Martha Stewart’s Apprentice. It actually aired one season, the season after she was released from jail. I didn’t watch any of it. But, full discloser here, I auditioned for it.

My company was doing well. Business was very good. But I wanted to shake some boredom and take things to the next level, somehow, someway. I signed up for an intimate marketing class being taught by a friend of a friend. We worked on things like finding our niche, taking useless headshots and perfecting our elevator speeches. A lot of money spent to spend a lot of time socializing with other entrepreneurs. At the time, The Apprentice was new, Mr. Trump was hot, Martha was riding on his coat tails with a cloned show and my new wacky marketing friends thought that I would be a shoe in. I was probably a bottle of wine or two in before I committed.

I applied to audition and was accepted to interview in person in Oklahoma City. With children farmed out, gas in the car, toothbrush and deodorant packed, resumes copied on bright yellow paper, I drove seven hours non-stop to Oklahoma City to the appropriate audition hotel. I was completely out of my box and into a seriously uncomfortable zone. The experience was an all night one. Sitting, standing, inside, outside in the pouring rain and then the drizzle. Alone. In a group. Big group, little group. Sizing up the competition. Being sized up by the competition. There were beautiful people. A few pit bulls. And every size, age and shape. And me.

The actual audition took about three and a half seconds and boom, my toothbrush, plastic smile and I were in the car for the long drive home. What in the world had my yellow resume and I just done? Seriously? Martha Stewart’s Apprentice? What the heck was I thinking?

I was thinking outside of the box. In doing so, I gave myself a much needed shot of energy. A spark. A conversation starter. Something to put in a press release. I was so silly proud. I was exhausted on adrenaline.

Just like I am so proud of every single American Idol contestant. Some of them are terrifically dreadful and some of them are dreadfully embarrassing but seriously, come on, SO WHAT?! They are out there! Completely outside of their comfort level and functioning in an unknown atmosphere on nothing but adrenaline with huge cameras in their faces. Every one of them needs to be so proud. They are taking a chance, following a hunch, a dream or a dare. They are DOING something!

When is the last time you took yourself out of your comfort zone? When is the last time you did something outside the box? When is the last time you took a chance? When is the last time you challenged yourself and rejuvenated your business plans as a result? When is last time you stepped outside and OVER your fears? When did you last make the decision to live instead of just exist on habit?

Thank you, Martha Stewart, for passing me by. Hope you are doing well. Looks like I was supposed to write the book instead. Thank you wacky marketing friends. Good thing I had a headshot for the back cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment