Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Good Pain

How bad does pain have to be before we stop and take notice? Physical pain. Relational pain. Emotional pain. At what pain point do you stop and say, “Enough is enough” and decide to deal with whatever the issue? At what point do you stop blocking out pain and decide to address it before it is debilitating?

I have a serious pain right now. No boring details here, but I hurt. It’s not emotional so please don’t worry about any sort of rambling pointless tale. None the less, I have a pain and it has halted me enough in my tracks to decide that it is time to address it. In stopping and getting quiet and trying to focus, as usual my mind collides with issues long since addressed but worth readdressing: pain within your business.

I was looking at some amazing quotes to post on the Facebook page (Annmarie (writer)) earlier today and found my mind wandering to the days I was in business and to my relationship with my employees. With the book coming out, I have a list started of the old employees, including ‘my boys’ that need to get a fresh signed copy right away. There are some old employees of mine to whom I owe either a debt of gratitude or an apology. My intention is to send each book with a personal note.

Some of my employees were a pain. A major pain. But what invaluable lessons I learned from them in finally addressing the pain I allowed them to cause me! Some lessons that I didn’t even know I was learning until many years later while some lessons were learned on the spot. I had terrible employees that I should have fired long before I did. I had rotten employees I was brave enough to release just in time. I had great employees that I should have given more power and credit too. Each type -class A pains.

There is lots of pain in owning your own business. Some of it is great, like pains that come with growth, major decision making and too much business. Some of it is downright painful like an employee who steals or lies. Either way, we all need to stop and address our pain regardless of what it is. Proactively reacting to pain head on everyday is only going to make us stronger and more intuitive. You will become a better leader for addressing the pains in your path instead of just being a lukewarm manager who trudges forward following procedure, painfully. Successful business owners and leaders are not afraid of pain. I don’t want you to be either.

Yes, I am going to successfully address my pain. Now.

PS. annmaries.org is looking great and I can't wait for you to see it!

Please 'like' on Facebook to keep up with the latest including quotes and questions to get you centered and thinking!

As always, thank you!

1 comment:

  1. great blog - we only change when the pain gets too great, huh? Glad you are addressing your pain and I will think of what pain I'm tolerating in my business that might need to be addressed - thank you!

    ReplyDelete