Monday, September 5, 2011

A Fire Red Fire of Reality

My little green car and I drove the hour and a half to the office this morning as the sun was showing up. The sky streaked with a haze that reminded me of my youth in Southern California when fires would burn out of control in the canyons: ominous smoky new fire red laying like a thick pillow over the ocean. The drive today was exceptionally long promoting plenty of time for windshield thoughts and reflection. Been a long time, yet just yesterday, since I have seen that kind of nauseous sky.

Right now people are not only losing their homes but all of their possessions. Right here, very close to where I live. Fire is raging in our city and it is not just a fire of flames, it is a fire of reality.

Did you have goals and plans in place when you started your business? What were you working for? Money? Stuff? What did you miss while working so hard to make the money and acquire the stuff? Did you miss ball games? Did you lose your health? Did you lose your marriage? Did you lose friendships? Did you say ‘no’ to family vacations? Did you vacation with your cell phone and computer? Did you have to have a bigger house? Or two?

I don’t know what the people who are losing everything right now are thinking. I can’t imagine watching my home burn to the ground. I know how I felt when I lost my home to a Hurricane. I know that the ‘stuff’ just really doesn’t matter anymore. Last time I went on vacation I didn’t take my computer and put an away message on my phone. Took losing everything to have that reality check.

My little green car now has 197,000 miles on her and we plan on going 50,000 more. I can fit into her just about everything I need. The stuff doesn’t matter anymore. Heartfelt prayers for the people who are fixing to learn this gut wrenching unprovoked lesson is all that is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment