Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Are You the Body Left Behind? - Part 2

Kelly Wilson and I were going to be friends forever. She got me through my first divorce and I got her to the altar when she got married. I loved Kelly and she loved me. In our 20’s we connected like sisters. I loved her energy, her family, her dogs... You get the picture. Kelly and I drank great wine together, loved to cook and entertain together, hot air ballooned together and shared more than a few secrets, together. After visiting her in Tulsa one beautiful spring 20+ years ago, I even moved to that Green Country city, on the strength of our friendship. A move I have never regretted.

Newly settled into my new city, I was into my career and Kelly, a new wife, was into cocaine. Apparently, Kelly used me as an ‘out’ when she was out and I was in.

I am the body that Kelly left behind.

Are you the body left behind? Does it hurt? How many people do you think about in the middle of the night when the world is still and realize that they have left you behind. No explanation, just behind. Done. When the world is still do you realize that you are running your business at break neck speed and that maybe you aren’t the one leaving the bodies behind? It just might be you who is being left behind. You might be the one loosing. Do you owe some apologies? Need some explanations? Reconciliation an option?

I have heard the saying about how people come into our lives for a reason, a season etc. But really, no matter the season, how many people have come through your front or back door and not getting the time or attention deserved, left you (and your business?) behind? How many employees have left your company and their leaving didn’t get deserved attention? How many customers left without explanation?

During more than one hour of centering prayer meditation over my lengthy silent retreat, my mind wandered to the people who have left me behind. I am filled with tears and questions and a sense of urgency to reconnect, if possible, and ask for forgiveness if necessary. How sad that I only now realize that during so many hectic years in business, when I wasn’t connecting, that I was the body left behind.

Please don’t be the body left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment