Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Recklessness Strewn All About The Highway

In the left hand lane of four lanes of traffic I am on cruse, with the lid down on my little green convertible pegged at about 5 miles over the speed limit. I am minding my own business, singing at the top of my lungs when a motorcycle flies up to my right hand side. After a brief pause, the driver, sans helmet, turns on the gas and with a serious spike flies past and then in front of me and then is a dot miles down the pavement in an instant. I can’t get the video out of my mind of the girl on the back, in short shorts, sandals and a backpack, jolting backwards and then forwards with the change of velocity. Hanging on for dear life.

Reckless. And very young.

Then just a few hours later, still with the lid down and on my return trip. Quiet and not singing this time, I hear the hard fast buzz of motorcycles coming up behind me. Six of them. Weaving in and out of traffic at breakneck speed, passing in the shoulder on the left and the right leaving all of us late night drivers stunned. They left me out of breath with their speed.

When we are first starting out, we are reckless. Invincible. Like the teenage driver who thinks, ‘It can never happen to me.’ I’ll never get into an accident. I’ll never get caught. They will never know it was me. The recklessness of youth.

The recklessness of being a young business owner. I can do this better than anyone else has done it before. My way is going to be the right way. The previous owner didn’t know what they were doing. I know what is best. I don’t need to listen to you.

I remember when I sold my company, the new owner kept questioning some of the business decisions I had made. Why was I charging this particular amount and why was I doing this, this way. I was making conscience decisions based on lessons I had learned the hard way. I was making decisions for particular reasons. I was doing for my customers and my company what needed to be done after 18 years of learning. After so long, I was not reckless. My business was tenured and lessons had been learned the hard way.

The men who bought my business didn’t see things my way and thought they could run things better, their way. You already know the end of that story and sadly, it isn’t pretty.

On both sides of my travel last night, I expected to get a spell down the road and see flashing lights and to hear sirens. I expected to see motorcycles down on the ground and bodies that just weren’t going to make it. The recklessness of the young strewn all about the highway.

Don’t be reckless with your young business. Manage it. Baby it. Treat it and yourself with respect. Listen to your gut, study your competition, establish powerful business relationships. Read the book. (Yes, please, clink on the link above.)

In other words, wear your helmet and go the speed limit. I don’t want to see you surrounded by flashing lights on the side of the road.

1 comment: