Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Thank God I Was A Single Parent

Lou and I were settled in the other night quietly playing a game of Backgammon when Casey and his energy burst in the door carrying sacks of groceries. He was preparing French Toast breakfast for ‘the couples’ (himself, girlfriend Jordan and another couple, their best friends) the following morning. No, I was not allowed to help. No, I could not put out the pretty plates and linen napkins. Yes, he would be using paper towels and yes, that was okay. No, I could not set the table and put the coffee in the pot. No, I didn’t even need to be there.
Unintentionally, I laid my ground work very well. My children were 4 and 6 when I became a single parent and because of the nature of my business and my personality they were forced to be very responsible immediately. Lia and Casey have done their own laundry for as long as I can remember. They know how to load, turn on and even empty the dishwasher. They know how to make their beds and what a hospital corner is. I never had to wake them up in the morning and get them ready for school. They have always gotten themselves up, had breakfast and dressed in the clothes they laid out the night before so that they were ready when I arrived home to drive them to school. They knew how to get themselves fed when there was ABSOLTELY NOTHING to eat in the house.
The three of us have had repeated conversations about how in many ways they were blessed to have been raised in a single parent home. How they had no choice but to have initiative. The power of this foundation is more and more apparent as they move into adulthood and it’s all good. How fabulous to see Casey not only cooking for his guests but cleaning up after. Just recently, Lia had to teach one of her new 20 year old roommates how to do their laundry and what a laundry bag for delicates was!
Just as we lay groundwork for grownup success in our children, as small business owners we absolutely must lay a solid foundation for our business enterprises or we will not enjoy success and reward. I am saddened and shocked both at how many entrepreneurs will sink their life savings into marketing, selling or producing a product without doing any due diligence. They don’t understand the power of managing their time in a manner that is indigenous to their habits. They don’t understand the power of their business relationships. They don’t take the time to manage their employees so that they will have a vested interest in their business. They don’t even take the time to study their potential competition!
Lou and I resumed our Backgammon game talking about my children. How blessed I am to have been able to raise them in an atmosphere that forced a strong foundation for their future. How blessed that I was rewarded with a business that had huge failure and major success. How blessed am I that I will be able to share tools for laying solid ground work with small business owners all over the world. How blessed Lou was that my thoughts were full of my blessings. He won every game of Backgammon we played that night!

1 comment:

  1. Very nicely said. Inspiring too. I raised my children to be independent too - in a two parent home at that! I am glad I did. They are both very capable adults now.
    basabi

    ReplyDelete